Maintaining hardwood floors properly is crucial for keeping its integrity and looking spectacular. With these following tips your floors will be looking great for quite some time.
Lose the Shoes
As soon as I come home after a long day I take my shoes off at the door. This not only puts me in ‘relax mode’ it also prevents me from tracking dirt and debris into my home. That dirt can be rather abrasive and tends to ruin the finish of your hardwood floors, not to mention the scratches they cause. Avoid bringing dirt into your home by simply taking your shoes off once you enter.
Vacuum Quite a Bit
I can’t stress this enough, vacuuming is the best solution for removing dirt and debris from the crevices of your floors. And I’m not just saying this because we manufacture vacuum parts; I’m saying this because it’s the truth. A good vacuum cleaner is your best friend when it comes to maintaining hardwood floors.
Here’s what to look for when choosing a vacuum for hardwood floors:
- Brush-roll options
- Look for a vacuum with a brush-roll designed for hardwood floors, otherwise the bristles will cause scratches.
- Or, find a vacuum that has the capability of turning the brush-roll off, relying strictly on suction to clean.
- Powerful motor
- Look for a vacuum with a powerful motor, since you’ll be relying on suction to clean and not a brush-roll.
- An average vacuum has an input power of approximately 1,000 watts, while the highest-powered vacuums can have more than 1,400 watts.
- Proper Attachments
- Cleaning attachments are essential to effectively vacuuming hardwood floors and getting into those tough to reach spaces. Utilize these tools.
All of these specifications can easily be found in the vacuums manual, or on the packaging. It’s also important to maintain your vacuum so it can perform optimally. Here are some tips for making sure you get the most out of your vacuum.
Clean Spills Immediately
People spill things and make a mess it happens. But, if you’re looking to keep your floors looking pristine clean up any spills immediately. If you let messes sit and dry it will dull the finish to your floors. Blot any spill with an absorbent cloth, and follow up by applying a damp paper towel over the area.
Maintain the Right Way
Applying the right chemicals and solutions to your hardwood floors is essential to not only remove marks effectively, but also to keep your floors integrity. Be sure to talk to the retailer you’ve purchased from as to what to use in order not to void your warranty.
Here are some general dos and don’ts.
- Use cleaners that won’t leave a film/residue
- Use a professional hardwood floor cleaner to remove scuffs and marks.
- Simply spray the cleaner on a cloth and rub the stained area gently.
- Minimize water exposure
- Use ammonia cleaners, or oily soaps on a hardwood floor. They dull the finish.
- Use an excessive amount of water to clean your floors. This can cause your floor to crack, or splinter.
Here are further natural solutions for getting rid of sticky messes in your home.
I hope these tips can be of use Crucial fans. Thanks for reading and if you have any other handy methods for maintaining hardwood floors in your home be sure to comment!